Green bean casserole has always been a staple at family dinners in my life, especially for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It has been the soundtrack of my holiday experience. But even the best things can be improved with a minor update or tweak. This is idea for spicy green bean casserole was inspired by my husband, who thinks that horseradish is amazing and by Great Midwest Cheese, who challenged me to put a twist a classic recipe with their cheese.
And oh my stars did I put a twist on this. In my family, green bean casserole is made with cream of mushroom soup, green beans, fried onions and milk. Combine the ingredients and bake at 350 until bubbly. Adding cheese has never been a consideration….
But, when I saw Great Midwest Cheese Horseradish and Cheddar at the grocery store I had a feeling it would be perfect in green bean casserole.
On it’s own, this cheese is above my flavor profile and spiciness meter. When combined with the other ingredients, it is perfection. The flavor notes of this recipe for spicy green bean casserole are understated and unexpected. And it totally works.
Spicy Green Bean Casserole Recipe
Spicy Green Bean Casserole Ingredients
- Two packages of steam in the bag green beans
- Two cans of cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/3 cups fried onions
- 7 oz Great Midwest Horseradish Cheddar Cheese, shredded
Spicy Green Bean Casserole Method
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cook green beans according to the directions on package
- Shred cheese and reserve 1/2
- In a large bowl combine green beans, cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 of the cheese you just shredded, chicken stock and 1/2 cup fried onions.
- Transfer to 9 x 13 pan. Top with remaining cheese and fried onions.
- Back at 350 for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Write this recipe on an index card before showing up with it to a family gathering. You’re going to need the recipe, trust me.
Join the newsletter
Living in MA rocks! Subscribe to hear about awesome events and places to explore with your family.