For this week’s edition of Ask Away Friday, I paired up with Adrienne from The Mommy Mess. Adrienne’s blog is one of the very first one’s I started reading. I think I found her via Things I Can’t Say, but I can’t remember for sure. I love Adrienne because she’s witty, smart, and not afraid to give you the real of what is happening in her world.
1. You and your husband met online and lived happily ever after. I think that’s super cool! Did you have reservations about online dating prior to meeting your husband? How did your family react to your online relationship/engagement announcement?
I didn’t have any at all, if you can believe it. We met in 2003, before the internet was full of scary creeps. I don’t know that I would try internet dating now. A few months after we started dating, I brought Michael and his mom home to meet my family in Illinois a few months. It was love at first sight between everyone, so they were thrilled when we got engaged a few years later.
2. I love the name of your blog! Would you say that “a cookie before dinner” sums up your parenting philosophy? What’s the biggest parenting “rule” you’ve ever broken?
No, I wouldn’t say that. My parenting philosophy is this- fight for your child instead of with them. There are very few things in life that are worth an epic power struggle. Our rules and boundaries are very clear. But if something happens outside of those, we are much more likely to give grace and second chances than we are give a hard and fast punishment. And often times, if Malone is acting out it is because there is a larger heart issue going on. We’d rather get to the bottom of that than send him to his room for a time out. Everyday, we’re fighting for the character of our kids instead of battling with them. Does that make sense?
3. You’ve written about dealing with grief on your blog. What’s something that helps you during those dark days when the sadness washes over you? I’ve been missing my grandmother so much and would love your advice.
The best thing you can do for yourself is to embrace the waves of grief when they come. Nothing good will come of stuffing those feelings back inside. Typically, I have a big ugly cry, write, and then take a nap. For some reason, those big cries are super draining.
4. How did you begin blogging?
I started a million years ago on Blogger. I think it was in the fall of 2002. I was kissing boys and breaking hearts all over Boston. I used to write about my adventures. I wish I could remember the name of that blog, I’m sure it is still floating around somewhere.
5. Wine or beer?
I don’t drink often. The only time I really have a drink is when there is a reason to celebrate with champagne. And even then, I usually only take a sip or two. Last weekend we toasted Grammie’s 90th birthday. I had two glasses of champagne and a headache for three days.
6. What season do you feel best suites your personality?
Hmm.. good question. I wasn’t sure how to answer this, so I texted my blog bestie Christie. She said spring and I think I agree with her. Sunny, bright, warm. Cheerful. Full of energy and a fresh take on life. Those are all words I’d use to describe myself.
With that being said, summer in New England is my favorite of all.
7. I know you have two adorable children. Do plan to have more? Or is two your magic number?
Two is not a magic number. Both Michael and I agree that we’ve got room in our hearts and our family isn’t complete. But right now we don’t have room in our house or car, so a few things will need to change before we can grow our family. Malone is ready for another baby. He’s smitten with Lola and loves being a big brother.
8. I love your post, 10 Commandments of Blogging! Seriously? I need to print it out and paste in above my computer. That’s how awesome I think it is. Which commandment would you say you struggle with the most?
Aw, you are so sweet! I’m glad you liked it! You are the second person who has told me that they want it made into something that they can print, so I just might have to make one for you all! I struggle with all of them almost everyday, except the captcha one. Right now, the hardest one of all is commenting. I want to read and reply to everyone. And I want to visit their blog and comment there too. There just aren’t enough hours in my day because Lola isn’t sleeping well. There is a season for everything, right?
9. Are a romantic? Valentine’s is right around the corner! What does Valentine’s Day look like for your and your hubby?
Neither one of us are mushy romantics. We will celebrate Valentine’s Day the way we always do, with take out Chinese food. We’d rather stay in and go out a different night. We don’t get take out often, so it is a treat. Nothing on the menu is off limits, so we usually end up with a feast and eating the leftovers all week!
10. When do you get time alone? How do you like to spend that time?
The only time I really get alone time is if I get up before the kids do. Ideally, I like t be up around 4:30 am. If I am diligent about peeling myself out of bed, I typically have two solid hours to myself before the kids wake up. Right now, I am living and breathing this blog because I’ve got some pretty big first quarter goals. In addition to posting 3-4 times a week, there are a lot of things happening behind the scenes!
Other than blogging, I love to read. Right now I’m reading Notes From A Blue Bike by Tsh Oxenreider and it is really inspiring.
I dream of 48 hours alone in a hotel room with wifi, chick flicks, and room service. That might happen for real later on this spring. I need a sleepcation.