I was compensated for this post by Baby Cubby, a thoughtfully curated online store that aims to make the shopping experience easier for parents. All opinions and recommendations are my own.
5 Things Mom Needs For Her Second Baby
- A quick fold stroller. When my second child, Stella, was born, my first, Alice, was only 21 months old. A double stroller was a no-brainer but double strollers are not practical for every situation, especially if you live in an urban area. When wrangling two little ones, one-hand fold stroller like this one is a lifesaver.
- An ergonomic baby carrier. With my first, I was all about ring slings but I always found myself instinctively holding on to the wrap, which didn’t really make for a hands-free experience! With a soft structured carrier like this one from ErgoBaby, my infant felt more secure and I felt more comfortable using my two hands to push the stroller or helping my toddler. (Early on, I used this to position my infant correctly in the carrier.)
- Toys for the big sibling. Especially when nursing, I needed a quiet, engaging activity to keep Alice occupied. This Magnatab toy has the added benefit of being portable. This chalk book is GENIUS, along with this multipack of chalk that comes with a holder. (Siblings often have to do a lot of waiting, so quiet toys like these are so helpful!)
- A swing. My mom jokingly calls this swing a ‘Neglect-O-Matic’ but I don’t know what I would’ve done without it. Apparently, my mom didn’t know either because she surprised me with it, as a gift! Babies love this swing, and it made it super easy for me to help the older kids with the bathroom or even just to get anything done around the house.
- A bag that’s easy to use. I swore by my diaper bag. Because I was using the baby carrier a lot, I didn’t carry a backpack and it was annoying to hoist a shoulder bag. This diaper bag hangs from your stroller without a separate attachment–you just buckle it around the handles. Hanging the bag from the stroller also made it a lot easier to dig around for something I needed.
What were the things you needed the second time around?