My kids are meatball obsessed. It is safe to say that meatballs are a Rongner family favorite. We love them on pizza, with pasta, in a grinder (that’s Massachusetts talk for hoagie or sub) and on their own. So, when Mezzetta reached out to me and asked to to share their story of sauce, I knew my recipe would include meatballs!
These 15 Minute Meatball Marinara Skewers will be a hit with your family!
For me, the most important part of meatballs of any kind (either frozen store bought or homemade) is the sauce. I love to use a beautiful marinara sauce, like Mezzetta Italian Plum Tomato. This sauce is made with the world’s best tomatoes…. the ones hailing from the rich soils of Italy’s San Marzano region. It’s simple and rich. There are fewer ingredients in the sauce, but they’re the freshest out there!
When I was a kid, my mother frequently made a big batch of meatballs from scratch on the weekend. I love using her recipe, it reminds me of my childhood and coming home from school to find them simmering on the stove in marinara sauce. For this 15 Minute Marinara Meatball Skewers recipe, I used frozen…. life is busy. I love knowing that I can give my kids a memory without having to spend hours in the kitchen. I partially cook my meatballs in the microwave and then finish them off in the pan with sauce. While I’m doing that, I also boil tortellini. The key to a 15 minute meal is multitasking.
The very last step for these is to assemble them in a pan and serve. With a skewer alternate cheese tortellini, meatballs and mozzarella cheese.
Take the remaining meatballs out of the pan (I always make more meatballs than what we need because we eat them) and bring the marinara sauce to as hot as you can get it without burning. Then, ladle it over the skewers. The cheese will get melty and everyone will be so happy. I’ve found that the skewers are a great way to control portions, especially for those of us who are pasta lovers who should be eating more protein.
This recipe yields 4 skewers. Here’s a printable version!
- 1 12 oz bag of cheese tortellini, cooked and drained
- 2 jars of Mezzetta Italian Plum Tomato sauce.
- 8 oz Mozzarella cheese balls
- 12-16 frozen meatballs (depending on size).
- Cook tortellini according to directions on package.
- Warm meatballs in microwave until they are ¾ the way cooked.
- Combine Italian Plumb Tomato Sauce and meatballs in a pan and simmer until meatballs are fully cooked.
- On a skewer, alternate between mozzarella balls, tortellini, and meatballs. There is no wrong or right way to stack them.
- Remove leftover meatballs from sauce pan and heat sauce until it's bubbly again. Pour sauce over skewers.
Mezzetta wants you to Discover Italy and is giving away their biggest prize yet – an all-expenses paid trip: Insight Vacation’s Country Roads Puglia & Neapolitan Riviera Tour – a 10 day tour PLUS a bonus day for touring a tomato farm in San Marzano. This Italian adventure includes round-trip coach air transportation for 2, hotel accommodations, a cooking class, and the farm tour. Enter here!